Saturday, March 5, 2011

Safe Haven by Nicholas Sparks

Safe Haven by Nicholas Sparks

Katie is determined to start her life over. She manages to escape her abusive marriage and flees under a new identity to a small coastal town in North Carolina. There she meets Alex, a widower with two children and owner of the corner store where Katie does her weekly shopping. It’s no secret that these two will start to have feelings for each other, nor is it shocking that the abusive husband eventually manages to track Katie down. What is interesting is the way the author writes the abusive husband’s rationalizations for the way he treats his wife and those around him. It’s truly frightening to be in the mind of an abuser. There are also some twists the novel takes which I wasn’t expecting at all which set the novel apart.


I have to admit I was pleasantly surprised by Sparks’ latest novel. I didn’t enjoy the last couple of his I read, but I decided to give him another chance, and I’m glad I decided to listen to this audiobook.