Thursday, September 1, 2011

Step on a Crack by James Patterson and Michael Ledwidge

Step on a Crack by James Patterson and Michael Ledwidge

What a great audiobook!  There are two narrators – one man voices the chapters from the good guy’s point of view and another man narrates the chapters about the bad guys.  This style worked REALLY well and kept me on the edge of my seat.  I found myself taking the long way to places just so I could listen a little longer. 

Michael Bennett, NYPD homicide detective, finds himself thrust into the role of hostage negotiator when some of the most influential and wealthy celebrities of the time are taken hostage during a state funeral at St. Patrick’s Cathedral.  As the days pass, heading towards Christmas, Michael is at wits end as to how the kidnappers were able to pull this off, and how they manage to stay one step ahead.

This book really gets your adrenaline going and you’ll also shed a tear or two.  Michael’s wife is dying of cancer and the scenes she is in are heartbreaking.  Add in their brood of ten multi-ethnic adopted children ranging in age from three to thirteen and the waterworks will drip I guarantee.