Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Maphead: Charting the Wide, Weird World of Geography Wonks by Ken Jennings


I just love maps.  I love looking at them, dreaming about what other places are like, even wondering how certain places got their wonderfully wacky names.  I think having a GPS is cheating.  I love finding my way through corn mazes with only a map and my wits to guide me out.  I can’t understand people who can’t read maps.  Then again, I can’t make sense of a large area until I see a map, so I really shouldn’t judge.

Ken Jennings (big time Jeopardy! winner) is a lover of maps (read: maphead) too.  A much bigger fan than I.  Obviously, he wrote the book.  And what a fun book it is!  Full of facts and odd bits of knowledge about map making, the hidden lives of old maps, geocaching, lifetime travel lists, and geography bee champions, this book is as entertaining as it is informative.  I was so caught up in map love I put a road atlas and a “cool” world atlas on my list for Santa (read: dad) to bring me this year.

If you are a fan of humor, knowledge, maps or trivia you’ll want to give this one a read.

The Non-Fiction Book Discussion Group will be talking about Maphead: Charting the Wide, Weird World of Geography Wonks on Thursday, February 9th at 1pm.  Register online if you would like to join in the discussion!