Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Gone by Mo Hayder

Gone by Mo Hayder

Warning: If you start this book you will be going to work bleary eyed the next morning or two.  I’m not the quickest reader in the world so I stayed up way too late two nights in a row reading this book.  It hooked me straight off and then kept leading me along.  Even when I was pretty sure I knew who did it, I didn’t know why, and that was driving me nuts!  I had to know!  I had to stay up until midnight! 

Carjacking is on the rise in Bristol.  Just last year a jacker took two cars with little girls in the backseat.  Thankfully both cars were abandoned a short way away from where they were stolen and the little girls were fine.  Now a third car is taken with a young girl in the back seat.  DI Caffery figures the car and the girl will turn up soon.  The clock is ticking and neither the car nor the girl have turned up.  Is it a new carjacker?  Was the criminal after the car?  Or was he intending to kidnap the child?

Nothing about this book is as it seems to be.  Nothing.  And that is what makes everything about this book so great.