Thursday, December 12, 2013

I Don’t Want to Kill You by Dan Wells

I Don’t Want to Kill You by Dan Wells

John Wayne Cleaver basically threw down the glove at the end of Mr. Monster and told the demon Nobody to come to Clayton County, ND so he could kill her like he did the last two demons who dared come to his town and prey on the residents.  Be careful when you threaten demons, they will follow through. 

John is a complex character.  He is a teenage sociopath who knows he has the potential to become one of the serial killers he so loves to study, but truly does not want to.  He also knows that he is one of the few to know that demons exist, and despite his rules against killing, knows he needs to stop them any way necessary.

I have to admit this audiobook surprised me.  I read the first two books in the series and enjoyed them (it’s like reading about a young Dexter Morgan learning to hunt demons instead of serial killers).  Hearing it really brought you into the story.  The narrator embodies John and his inner conflicts and struggles with emotions, and the lack thereof.  The ending is truly shocking.  I just sat there, stunned, when the book was over.  There could be a fourth book in the series, and I truly hope there is.