Monday, March 24, 2014

Annihilation by Jeff VanderMeer

Annihilation by Jeff VanderMeer
 
The border of Area X, a contaminated wilderness created by a human-made disaster of some sort, is growing and an understanding of the ecology and inhabitants of Area X is needed.  Therefore the twelfth expedition, of an all female crew is sent to Area X.  They are poorly prepared for what they will find.

I finished this book about a week ago and it’s still poking at my brain.  I honestly don’t know what happened or why, but neither does the main character, so I guess that is okay.  This is thought provoking sci-fi with a pronounced horror bent that will keep you guessing long before you close the cover of this short but engrossing book.  The second and third parts of the trilogy are being released later this year; I’ve got the second one on hold so I can (hopefully) find out what’s going on!