Thursday, December 4, 2014

The Forgers by Bradford Morrow

The Forgers by Bradford Morrow

A man is found dead, hands severed (and never found), in his home surrounded by priceless first editions and precious signed novels, most terribly damaged.  His sister Meghan is devastated and wants to know who could have possibly wanted to harm her brother Adam.  Meghan’s boyfriend, Will, is a convicted forger and when visiting Adam’s Montauk bungalow he recognizes many tools of the trade.  Yet Will refuses to begin doctoring books with forged signatures again, no matter how much money he could be making.  Until he starts to receive threatening letters, letters cleverly written in the hand of dead authors; this forger may be as good as Will once was.  What does this person possibly want with Will?

I listened to this book, but I was very fortunate to also have the print copy checked out at the same time.  There was a point early in the book where I swore I missed something, but I didn’t.  I was just confused.  And my confusion continued.  I can’t say why, it would ruin the book, but my puzzlement carried throughout.  Which wasn’t a good thing because when the big reveal happened I felt like somehow I already knew it, hence my confusion.  I’m sure after reading this paragraph you are perplexed – my apologies.  In summation, save your confusion for a twisty thriller that confuses on purpose with a big shocking reveal.