Tuesday, March 15, 2016

Silence of the Sea by Yrsa Sigurdardottir

The Silence of the Sea by Yrsa Sigurdardottir

Family members and friends await the arrival of a luxury yacht from Portugal at the Reykjavik pier. They watch horrified as the yacht crashes into the pier and it quickly becomes clear that no one is on board.  Seven people: the captain, two deckhands and a family of four are missing.  Did they become victims of the wind and weather?  Or did something more sinister happen? 

This is another entry in the Thora Gudmundsdottir series but you do not need to have read any of the other books in the series to enjoy this one.  This is a great locked room (locked ship!) mystery.  Chapters alternate between Thora and her investigation in Iceland and life aboard the ship leading up to the crash into the pier.  Yrsa’s last book was a ghost story and she brings the mood of a horror book to this mystery.  I kept getting more and more nervous for the people on the ship as time went on, and just when I thought I had it all figured out, I didn’t.  Not even close.  The clues were there, I just didn’t see them.

I did the thing I tell all librarians not to do: if a patron is going on a trip never give them a mystery or thriller set in that location.  It puts the place in a bad light.  Who wants to go sightseeing and then picture the body that was found mutilated right around the corner in the book they read before bed the night before?  Well…me?  Since nothing really happened in Reykjavik except the investigation it wasn’t strange walking around the city; I didn’t have to look at it like it was a crime scene.  I waited until I got back to start the next book set there…