Thursday, April 28, 2016

The Murder House by James Patterson and David Ellis

The Murder House by James Patterson and David Ellis

Detective Jenna Murphy returns to the Hamptons after years away to join the police force where her beloved uncle is chief of police.  Two horrific murders take place at 7 Ocean Drive, known as the murder house because of its sordid past, and a suspect is swiftly taken into custody after incriminating evidence is found at his home.  Days later Jenna is working on another murder case which the department treats as unrelated, yet she can’t shake the feeling that the same person killed all three victims.  Could the wrong man be in jail?  Could Jenna be in danger?  What is it about Jenna’s past in the Hamptons that she can’t remember?

I listened to this book on a Playaway and loved it.  I bounced between listening in my car and popping in headphones and walking in the park; walking more than normal just to hear what would happen next.  I liked having two narrators, male and female, who were both very good.  And like most Patterson books it moves very fast.  

I have to admit I figured out who did it earlier than I should have because I am a big mystery reader and apparently have a suspicious mind.  It took me a while to puzzle out some of the secrets of the past, so that kept me in some suspense.  A fun, quick, murderous beach read.  Hey!  It takes place in the Hamptons after all!