Wednesday, October 26, 2016

Kept Woman by Karin Slaughter

Kept Woman by Karin Slaughter

I’m sitting here trying to figure out how to describe the plot of this book and I’m at a loss.  It is either going to come out to pages of plot twists that will confound and put off potential readers or I’ll be giving parts of the suspense away trying to explain pieces of the plot.  So I will not do that.  I’ll try minimalistic and see how that goes...and nope.  Just deleted it because I realized I gave away two things in my brief three lines.  *sigh*

This is a really complicated plot involving numerous players and motivations all at odds with one another.  For the major part of the book we only know what the investigators know, but after about half the book we start to hear from another character (can’t say who) and the blanks start to get filled in bit by bit. While there is a LOT going on the author is adept at keeping everything straight and the characters are memorable enough that you are able to keep everyone clear in your mind as you unravel what happened that night at the abandoned nightclub, and why.

Apparently this was the eighth book in a series and since I didn’t realize that until I was writing this review I figure it’s good proof that you can read it as a standalone and still enjoy the story.  Also really good on audio and the library has it on Playaway!