Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Plum Island by Nelson DeMille

Plum Island by Nelson DeMille

Looking for a complex mystery/conspiracy to sink your teeth into? Try Nelson DeMille. His books are long, but don’t let that deter you. These are the type of books that you’re okay with being long, and would even be okay with them being longer.


Plum Island, published in 1997, is about two scientists who work at the government animal disease center on the secluded island off the North Fork of Long Island who are found murdered on their back deck. The island is rumored to be a top-secret biological warfare laboratory and now that these two have ended up brutally murdered people are getting concerned that some killer bug may have been stolen and is now on the loose.


I can’t believe that I didn’t start reading these until now. I have to admit I was a bit intimidated by their doorstopper looks, but I shouldn’t have let that stop me. Even though Plum Island is by no means funny, I found myself smiling because the speech patterns are so Long Island. I didn’t realize that there was such a thing but this book felt like home and now I plan on reading a lot more DeMille in the future.


Yes, Plum Island has been at the center of some wild government conspiracy theories, and yes, they do have anthrax and other scary things there, but it is in the process of moving, so this interesting piece of Long Island real estate could be on the market one day soon…