Wednesday, May 8, 2013

In the Kitchen by Monica Ali

In the Kitchen by Monica Ali

Gabriel is facing a mid-life crisis.  He’s a chef at a struggling hotel in London with an international staff.  Things are going well at the restaurant, yet he’s trying to put together funding and a location for a restaurant of his own which is causing him a lot of stress and anxiety.  His long time girlfriend seems to be hinting at marriage.  His father has fallen seriously ill.  And one of his porters has been found dead in the cellars under the hotel restaurant – was it murder?

I was looking forward to reading this book having heard wonderful things about other books by this author.  However, I have a really hard time enjoying a book when I don’t like the main character.  I really didn’t like Gabe.  He makes some horrible decisions and I have to admit I don’t understand why he does some of the things he does.  The book was described as a murder mystery (there is no mystery) in a fast paced restaurant kitchen (yes, but the kitchen scenes are minimal).  I would describe it more as a mid-life crisis over ethical issues by a man with questionable morals.