Wednesday, May 22, 2013

The Blue Fox by Sjón

The Blue Fox by Sjón

A man goes out onto the Icelandic glacier in pursuit of a blue fox.  A blizzard comes up and he must battle the elements to survive.  A girl is born different and struggles to survive in the world after being saved from horrific circumstances.  These two stories meld in a way that will surprise and satisfy any reader.

I will admit straight out that I love anything that has to do with Iceland (and I’m sure you’ll see posts here about more books set in that country over time) but that is not the only reason I loved this book.  First, it is short.  In a time when it seems like most authors get paid by the word it’s great to read a complete story in less than 120 pages.  Second, the style is poetic and stark, but not over or underdone.  You are not begging for further information or description; it is all there.  Finally, I love a good fable.  And this is a great one.