Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Gulp: Adventures on the Alimentary Canal by Mary Roach

Gulp: Adventures on the Alimentary Canal by Mary Roach

I am a Mary Roach fan.  Her explorations of the weird world of science always leave you knowing more about a subject than you thought you would ever want to know.  Gulp is no exception.  Starting with one end and working her way towards the other Roach talks to the unsung experts in the fields surrounding spit, vomit and poop trying to get across how amazing these processes are and how weird it is that no one really wants to talk about them.  While I am not saying that you’ll feel comfortable engaging strangers on the street about the possible alimentary reasons behind Elvis’s death (well, maybe you will…) you will have a greater appreciation for your own food tube.

I listened to this book, which was interesting and even fascinating at times.  I do not recommend listening to certain parts while preparing food.  Trust me.  I know from experience.