Tuesday, June 17, 2014

Bird Box by Josh Malerman

Bird Box by Josh Malerman

There is something outside.  No one knows for sure what it is.  But those who see it go completely insane, harming themselves and those around them.  The few survivors live their lives in shrouded houses terrified that the blankets or boards over the windows will fall and they will catch a glimpse of the outside world, for it could be there.  It could make them mad with one look. 

Malorie discovers she’s pregnant the day the world begins to change.  Eventually she braves the mile drive to the home she saw in an ad as a safe refuge.  It was an ad she saw months ago, but kept for some reason.  After her harrowing journey there she finds safety.  At least temporarily... 

Then the narrative flips to Malorie at some time in the future, alone in a house with two young children, deciding to brave the river, paddling down an unfamiliar waterway blindfolded.  Not knowing what lies ahead, behind or beneath their rowboat.  Will they be able to hear their way to safety?

This book truly terrified me.  I couldn’t stop reading it, I had to know what happened next, but I had to keep putting the book down and walking away for a minute or two; only to rush back again to read another chapter or two.  The author did a wonderful job making you think while freaking you out.  The idea of something, and having no idea what that something could possibly be, driving a person crazy on sight is bizarre, but I was completely drawn into this world and believed it.  I was in the rowboat with Malorie hearing what she and the children heard and I felt the hairs rise on the back of my neck.  (Hence, my furious pacing and leaving the book behind while I caught my breath.)  Maybe it’s just me, but the idea of having to face something unknown blind, something that could be standing RIGHT THERE, just really freaks me out.

Horror fans do not miss this one.  And read it with the windows closed, your doors locked and all the lights on.