Thursday, July 31, 2014

The Silkworm by Robert Galbraith

The Silkworm by Robert Galbraith

Cormoran Strike is doing a steady business as a private investigator since he solved the Lula Landry murder.  He and Robin, his receptionist, have just about all casework they can handle when the distraught wife of a reasonably successful writer walks through the door.  Her husband is missing, she’s pretty sure she knows where he is, she just needs Strike to go get him and convince him to come home.  Of course nothing is ever that simple.  After searching for the missing man for a few days Strike finds him, somewhere other than where the wife thought he would be, quite dead, quite gruesomely dead.  Now Strike is trying to stay out of the way of the police while also trying to solve the murder since his client is sitting in jail and Strike is convinced she didn’t do it.

I really enjoyed the first book in the series, The Cuckoo’s Calling, and I thought Galbraith (a.k.a. J.K. Rowling) would have a hard time topping it but she did.  And she did it very well.  I could not stop reading this book on the plane, time I really should have been sleeping, but I was so absorbed in the story I just kept paging through even though I was completely exhausted.  The best part to me was that I had an inkling who committed the murder, but I couldn’t put my finger on why.  When the detective started unfolding his reasoning I had my aha! moment and felt amateur sleuth-like myself.

If you like old-fashioned hardboiled detective mysteries you will enjoy Cormoran Strike.