Wednesday, July 30, 2014

Vacant Possession by Hilary Mantel

Vacant Possession by Hilary Mantel

Muriel Axon has been in a mental institution for a number of years and was recently released.  She takes on the personas of some of the women she meets in order to exact revenge on those she believed wronged her in the past.  When in actuality it was her abusive mother who probably did the most harm.

I finished this book right before I left on vacation two weeks ago and the only feelings I can bring up now about it is that it was quite strange.  Also, since it was written in the 80s it was interesting how technology would have changed the story.  A few times I was thinking why didn’t someone just use their cell phone?  Then I had to remember what timeframe I was in. 

I wanted to experience the writer, but not read her recent tomes on English history, and she has a very literary writing style which I enjoyed.  The story she chose to tell however was quite odd.