Thursday, November 20, 2014

The Gigantic Beard That Was Evil by Stephen Collins

The Gigantic BeardThat Was Evil by Stephen Collins

I heard about this graphic novel a few months ago at a conference and it kept popping up on various social media posts. I was intrigued by the title alone, the buzz just made me decide I had to check it out. I’m glad I did, and even if you aren’t a graphic novel reader, you should too.

David is a typical resident of Here that tries all he might not to think about There, the scary land beyond the sea that is not ordered like Here. But David’s thoughts keep drifting to There and what might be There and what exactly is so great about Here. What is the purpose of anything? Then David’s beard (facial hair is unheard of in Here due to its untidy nature) just starts growing. And growing. And growing. Nothing David or anyone else in Here can do will make it stop.

The art is all black and white pencil drawings using shading to create muted, but detailed and beautiful illustrations. The story is understated, but profound.