Thursday, April 30, 2015

Missing You by Harlan Coben

Missing You by Harlan Coben

Yet another hit standalone from Coben.  NYPD Detective Kat Donovan is not amused when her best friend signs her up on a dating website.  Imagine her surprise when she sees her ex-fiancé’s picture while scrolling through potential dates.  It’s been almost twenty years since they have spoken but Kat reaches out: and is rebuffed.  Still reeling from being rejected again she is surprised by a teenager asking for her by name to look into his mom’s disappearance.  Why her?  He and his mom are from Connecticut.  Eventually she gets the truth from him – he hacked the dating site his mom used to meet the new boyfriend she went away with for a romantic vacation.  His mom is dating the man Kat was chatting with, her former fiancé.  Is this woman really missing?  Or is she enjoying time with her new lover?  Is something extremely sinister going on?

Of course something extremely sinister is going on.  I liked the way the case built since we had inside information; the story of the missing woman ran concurrently through the narrative.  Knowing what was actually happening to her was for once scarier than not knowing. 

I listened to this book on a Playaway.  I’ll admit when we began to actively collect these again late last year I knew some people really liked them but personally I didn’t quite see the point.  Now I am a complete convert.  If you aren’t familiar with them a Playaway is an audiobook in its own little case which is about 2” x 3.5” and runs off one AAA battery.  You can listen to it with your own headphones or you can hook it into your car with an AUX cable.  I went walking with it and then went into my older car with it and then my new car and it was perfect for all three environments and never lost my place in the story.  My old car doesn’t have Bluetooth or a USB connection so I can’t use eAudiobooks and my new car has those but no CD player.  Both cars have AUX input so I’m golden with Playaway – and if I go to the park for a walk I just unhook it from the car, plug in some headphones and I’m exercising and listening.  Only the most popular audiobooks are available in this format, but that’s okay with me.  I’ll just have to listen to some popular books more often.  Looks like I’ll have to put the new Coben on hold!