Tuesday, July 21, 2015

The Wonder Garden by Lauren Acampora

The Wonder Garden by Lauren Acampora

A picture-perfect suburb in Connecticut with mayhem, misunderstandings and a little madness at its core is the setting for these linked short stories.  You’ll be fascinated about what is found behind each of these stately front doors.

I was doubtful when I picked this one up.  Stories about families in suburbia in crisis don’t really appeal to me, but this book, while it did touch on that, was so much more.  The thing I enjoyed most?  There were many, many characters, but I never forgot who was who.  When a person I hadn’t read about in five or six stories showed up again the author gave enough vivid clues that you remembered who the character was.  After some books I have attempted to read, and put down after about thirty pages because I couldn’t tell the difference between characters anymore, this was a truly refreshing thing.

Fans of the style of Olive Kitteridge will really enjoy her similar storytelling style.