Thursday, September 3, 2015

Super Duper Alice Cooper (Rockumentary)

Super Duper Alice Cooper (Rockumentary)

I’ve been meaning to watch this documentary since it was released and finally got around to watching it.  I figured I’d watch a few minutes, get bored, and return it.  Well, I watched the whole thing in one sitting and then listened to some of his music. 

My mom was really into rock and pop music when I was a kid and we watched concerts on television all the time, including Alice Cooper.  I started liking him when he guest starred on The Muppet Show and sang Welcome to My Nightmare (which I still own on a 45rpm record.)  A couple of years ago, remembering how much I enjoyed watching his antics in concert on television, I went to see him live and it was quite an experience and one I would like to repeat.  He’s a great entertainer who you can tell really enjoys what he does.  But the story behind how he got where he is today is almost as entertaining as a performance because this documentary is edited so well.  With all the roadblocks they encountered starting out in L.A. before meandering through the country and eventually making it big in Detroit I was surprised they stuck it out.  And then the craziness and celebrity encounters and fame soon after – I have to admit I had no idea.

Even if you aren’t an Alice Cooper fan the way the film is put together – snippets from concert footage, archival photos, old movies to create atmosphere – is something to see.