Friday, July 8, 2016

Rams (Foreign Drama – Icelandic)

Rams (Foreign Drama – Icelandic)

As many who know me (or have read this blog for a while) know I love anything and everything Icelandic.  When I heard an award winning film came out of my home away from home I couldn’t wait to see it.

This is the story of two brothers who have neighboring farms and raise specially bred sheep.  Each competes each year for the best ram in the remote area of the northeastern part of the country.  Good natured sibling rivalry?  Hardly.  These brothers haven’t spoken in who knows how many years.  When scabies is found in that year’s prize ram each of the brothers reacts differently to the edict that the entire flocks be killed to stop the spread of the incurable disease.

I wanted to love this movie.  It’s awkward and darkly funny in spots, but overall I found it quite sad rather than the quirky story I thought I was getting.  Also I wasn’t a fan of the ending.  It was one of those endings when the credits start rolling and you look around your living room in disbelief that the movie could end suddenly like it just did.  For fans of strange foreign films with a definite dark side.