Thursday, January 26, 2017

The Sleepwalker by Chris Bohjalian

The Sleepwalker by Chris Bohjalian

Lianna’s mom is missing and Lianna feels a strong sense of guilt. She should have been watching over her mother that night, but it had been years since her last sleepwalking episode. Now her mother is simply gone and Lianna is on a quest to find her mother. Was this another one of her nighttime wanderings? Did her mom end up dying because of bad decisions she made in her sleep? Or could she have met someone, someone who harmed her, while she was out walking?

This is one of those books that when you answer one question, another pops up in its place. There are people and circumstances that always leave you feeling a little off kilter. I did figure out where the story was leading before Lianna did, but that didn’t detract from the story one bit. (I blame the long list of thrillers I have read, not the author.) The characters are well drawn as is the ailment of sleepwalking which has the potential to be much scarier and primal than I had known.

I’ve been a huge Bohjalian fan since I saw him speak while promoting The Double Bind; he’s just a really nice guy, so I’m happy when one of his books gets the type of positive buzz this one has been receiving. Made me even more anxious to read it. And I’m really glad I read it right away and didn’t wait. A book that made me so happy that I don’t sleepwalk...