Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Revenge: Eleven Dark Tales by Yoko Ogawa



I have to admit that I am not a huge fan of short stories, but there are short story collections on every best of 2013 list I've seen.  It seems like 2013 will be the year of the short story.   So I’m trying to learn to like the form, and I found a winner in this one.

Alone, each story is an interesting glimpse into a life; together, these stories weave an intricate web of connections between events and people that can’t be seen unless glimpsed from a distance.  As the title states, these are dark stories.  All of them leave you feeling a little unbalanced or uncomfortable.  (Especially the story about the woman commissioning a bag to hold her heart since she was born with her heart on the outside.)   Decidedly Japanese, lending an otherworldly feel of a different perspective and culture to the oddness going on, these stories are for those who want something different that can be enjoyed in one sitting.