Sunday, February 24, 2013

The Dinner by Herman Koch

The Dinner by Herman Koch

I finished this book a week ago and I’m still reeling.  It’s an intense character study and twisted morality play happening in the time it takes to enjoy (and I use that term extremely loosely) an expensive dinner.

Two couples are getting together to discuss their sons and what they have done.  I am not ruining anything by telling you that the two men at the table are brothers, sometimes at odds with one another, and this incident is no exception.  As to what the boys, these cousins, have done?  I’m not telling.  You don’t find out until about a third of the way in.  And I still can’t believe what they did! 

This book brings up all sorts of questions about parenting.  As a parent what can you forgive?  Are there instances where you do not protect your children?  What would you do to protect your children?  How far does that bond between parent and child go?  A disturbing look at parenthood.