Friday, February 19, 2016

Harriet, the Spy by Louise Fitzhugh

Harriet, the Spy by Louise Fitzhugh

Harriet M. Welsch is eleven-years old and writes down EVERYTHING about everything and everyone in her notebook.  She has a spy route after school where she listens at doors, hides in dumbwaiters and peeps through skylights to find out what people she has never met are up to that day.  She also writes about all the things happening in her life and her observations about her friends and those she considers enemies.  Since her nurse has left Harriet is not happy and things don’t seem to be going right in her life, but then disaster strikes.  She accidently leaves her notebook behind on a run in the park and her friends read exactly what Harriet has been writing in her notebook about them and now no one wants to be her friend anymore.

I was sure that I had never read this book but when I mentioned that I was reading it to my mother she let me know that I had read all three Harriet books during the summer reading program when I was a kid.  I was a huge mystery fan, and apparently that hasn’t changed too much! 

I loved how dated the book was, yet how timeless in others.  Children were allowed to run loose in New York City in the parks and dad just wanted to relax with a martini when he got home from work; yet also a girl learns loss for the first time when her nurse leaves her to get married and how the truth can sometimes hurt more than a white lie.  It was a fun read about a spunky young girl that would appeal to all children young and old.