Friday, February 19, 2016

The Winter Girl by Matt Marinovich

The Winter Girl by Matt Marinovich

Scott and Elise, a married couple from Brooklyn, journey to the east end of Long Island to care for her dying father.  Their marriage is in trouble and Elise spending her days tending to her abusive father in the hospital only to return to her childhood home at night isn’t making things between the couple any better.  Scott becomes obsessed with the house next door, seemingly empty with lights on timers; he doesn’t have much to occupy him as a photographer with little of interest to shoot in the bleak island winter.  One night Scott convinces Elise to break in with him and a moment of passion is the turning point when things start going disastrously wrong. 

This is a short book, only 200 pages, and the most disturbing book I’ve read in a long while.  Towards the end I found myself wondering, what is the most horrible thing I can imagine happening next?  And then it happened. 

I was surprised that there were so many holds on a book I hadn’t heard anything about.  (I put it on hold because it took place on Long Island, not sure how everyone else heard of it.)  Only for those that like their thrillers extremely disturbing and lacking in hope.