Friday, December 23, 2016

Outcast: A Darkness Surrounds Him by Robert Kirkman

Outcast: A Darkness Surrounds Him by Robert Kirkman

In the midst of holiday shopping and to-do lists a mile long I’ve started a really long book on audio as well as started and put down a few others in print.  I needed to finish something else to blog so I picked up a graphic novel from my pile and was pleasantly surprised, so much so I just checked out the next two volumes.

Kyle Barnes had a difficult childhood.  His mom was a loving and wonderful mother one day, awful and mean the next.  People close to Kyle have changed and he finally may know why: demonic possession.  After returning to his hometown and helping the neighborhood priest with an exorcism Kyle may finally believe in demons.  What he can’t believe, or start to understand, is why he seems to have the power to dismiss the demons from their hosts.  

What first drew me to the series was the writer.  If the name seems familiar but you can’t put your finger on it Robert Kirkman is the writer of The Walking Dead graphic novels.  I wanted to see what he thought of next.  Apparently I wasn’t the only one interested, or who liked it, since I just found out (I’m a little out of touch I guess) that Outcast premiered as a television series this summer on Cinemax and was renewed for another season.  I’ll have to keep an eye out for it on DVD...