Friday, December 30, 2016

Paper Girls Volumes 1 & 2 by Brian K. Vaughan

Paper Girls Volumes 1 & 2 by Brian K. Vaughan

Goonies meets Back to the Future meets Total Recall.  It’s 1988 and four paper girls team up on Mischief Night to deliver papers because there is safety in numbers.  While this does keep them safe from egg wielding teenagers it’s not as helpful with the time traveling aliens.  Or the “folding” they fall into and travel to 2016 when they meet one of their future (present?) selves.

Vaughn is the writer of Y: The Last Man (which is really good if you haven’t read it) and when this one was being compared to Goonies I figured I had to give it a try.  Not sure why I didn’t blog it after the first volume, but the second was just as fun so I wanted to help get it up on people’s radar.

If you aren’t a graphic novel fan, but you want to try one to see what the fuss is about, if you lived through the 80s this is a good one to pick up.  The colors of the art are vibrant (remember all the neon of the 80s?) and the style brought me back to my childhood.  And watching these young girls try to wrap their heads around the oddness of the present day is fun to witness.  Oh yeah, and there are other people interested in these time traveling tweens and right now I can’t figure out who are the good guys and who are the bad.